Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Midweek Market

The Tuesday market at the Arceaux is far less crowded than the Saturday one, and stuff doesn't sell out as quickly, so although I did make a pretty decent score on Saturday, I just figured that since it was a nice morning, cool, somewhat sunny and I didn't have anything better to do, I'd just head down there. I'm glad I did, since I managed to remember the camera this time.




First, the cherries are pouring in, both sweet and sour. These are sour; the sweet ones were bigger than I've ever seen, real giants. Dunno why I didn't buy some -- or shoot any.




There's also a flood of small "white" peaches, which I don't find as aromatic or tasty as regular peaches. Lots of apricots, too.




The organic guys are bringing in gigantic, foot-long zucchinis. I only photographed these because the yellow ones were really yellow, a fact that doesn't come through in the photo, unfortunately.




These Provençal guys had all manner of shallots, onions, and garlic -- but no green garlic, unfortunately. I think I may be a little late on wanting to get that. Still, it's nice to know I can get enough garlic. This is almost enough.



I was wrong about strawberries being finished. These "mirelles du bois" were two bucks for 250g, and they're tiny: that's a one-euro coin there for scale. A little bigger than a nickel, for the Americans among us. I can't wait to try these tomorrow.



I finally found some fava beans that looked good. I've never eaten these, so this is an experiment. They don't look terribly different from limas, and I actually like lima beans. I'll report back if I succeed in making them edible.

And finally, a warning from a local florist to pick your artichokes in time. There are artichokes of every imaginable size (and a couple of shapes) out there at the moment, and these remind me of my old next-door neighbor Frosty in California, who had a bunch of artichokes and often let them bloom. This also doesn't really get the color, but I'm not sure that's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter